Saturday 21 January 2012

From Anne


 I've been reading the Anne of Green Gables series, and I absolutely love it. I just finished reading the second book, Anne of Avonlea today, and it's wonderful. The series is basically about the life of a redhaired, imaginative, and adventurous girl named Anne Shirley. Sounds boring, I know. Not to me, because I love classics. One of the reasons I like it is because Anne reminds me somewhat of myself. I love reading about all the scrapes she gets into and her view of the world.

 I'm just going to share some of my favorite quotes from Anne of Avonlea with you.


From Chapter Thirteen: A Golden Picnic

   "'I should rather call it a picture,' said Jane. 'A poem is lines and verses.'

   'Oh dear me, no.' Anne shook her head with its fluffy wild cherry coronal positively. 'The lines and verses are only the outward garments of the poem and are no more really than your ruffles and flounces are you, Jane. The real poem is the soul within them... and that beautiful bit is the soul of an unwritten poem. It is not every day one sees  soul... even of a poem.'"



From Chapter Nineteen: Just A Happy Day

    "'After all,' Anne had said to Marilla once, 'I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid and wonderful and exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string.'"




   "'Yes, but if dryads are foolish they must take the consequences, just as if they were real people,' said Paul gravely. 'Do you know what I think about the new moon, teacher? I think it is a little golden boat full of dreams.'

      'And when it tips on a cloud some of them spill out and fall into your sleep.'

      'Exactly, teacher... And I think the violets are little snips of the sky that fell down when the angles cut out holes for the stars to shine through. And the buttercups are made out of old sunshine; and I think sweet peas will be butterflies when they go to heaven.'"





- Anne of Avonlea, L.M. Montgomery



Anne by Claire Keane





No comments:

Post a Comment