Saturday 13 October 2012

I OBJECT




When I was a kid, there was this movie I loved to watch called Legally Blonde. I found the story about a girl named Elle, who knew nothing else but fashion, suddenly entering Harvard Law School to win her boyfriend back interesting and funny. I ended up wanting to take up law school, too, and become a lawyer, but that was before. I stopped wanting to become a lawyer when I found out you had to study longer for that. Heh.

We had a guest speaker in school today, Atty. Banjo Navarro, who spoke to us about being a lawyer. Honestly, when I first heard that a lawyer was going to speak to us, I expected it to be a boring lecture on court rules, studying, and paper work. Instead, it turned out to be the opposite. He was a funny, engaging, and great speaker and was able to grab our attention with his stories about his different cases and clients. Everyone asked so much questions, probably the most compared to all our other career talks.

He's a Christian, which is really great. We need more Christian lawyers and politicians in our government. The position God has put him in right now is a good, strategic one, and he even leads a small group of lawyers.

Just around two hours ago, I opened my Bible and took out my Bible reading plan for my quiet time for the day. And lo and behold, ALL of the verses were related to law and being a lawyer. I couldn't help but laugh and exclaim, "God, what are you trying to say? You are SO FUNNY!" He's been doing that a lot recently, giving me extremely relevant verses from a Bible plan I got online just exactly when I need it. For a moment, I thought, "Oh my gosh, Lord, what are You saying? Do you want me to become a lawyer, or what?" I just can't see myself as a lawyer, okay. I don't think I'm the type. So, after thinking for a while, I just decided to pray for all the lawyers in the Philippines and pray that more Christians will take up law and others will be saved.


"God presides in the great assembly; 
he renders judgements among the 'gods': 
'How long will you defend the unjust
and show partiality to the wicked?
Defend the weak and the fatherless;
uphold the cause of the poor and oppressed.
Rescue the weak and the needy;
deliver them from the hand of the wicked.'"

Psalm 82:1-4



"'Administer justice every morning;
rescue from the hand of his oppressor
the one who has been robbed,
or my wrath will break out and burn
like fire
because of the evil you have done--
burn with no one to quench it.'"

Jeremiah 21:12


See what I mean? And I read those verses one after the other, too. ajdfhalsdfj

So, if any of you are planning to be lawyers someday, remember these verses, and keep this one in your heart:

"Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne;
love and faithfulness go before you."

Psalm 89:14



It's going to be really tough out there, being a Christian lawyer. Never forget what and who you're fighting for, and remember that you do not belong to the night or darkness, but to the light and day. (1 Thessalonians 5:4-8, also part of my reading today what even)

And for those of you who would rather bite off a finger than become a lawyer, please continue to pray for our lawyers, both Christian and non-Christian. They are very important people in our society and need lots of prayer cover.

(Well, that was quite a long entry.)

No comments:

Post a Comment