Thursday 8 December 2011

Redefine


Verb1.redefine - give a new or different definition to;


The hurtful words people tell you shouldn't define you. If they don't believe in your ability to accomplish something, show them you can. To redefine is to give a new meaning to who you are and show people that you're so much more than what they think you are.

Redefine.

Here's a spoken word poem I wrote last night for my english project which promotes the concept of 'redefine.'



Have I lost
Myself?

Are these
Lies?
Or are they
Just 
The ugly truth?

Have I lost myself?

These names
These labels
These choking
Judgments they have cast on me

They must be true.

Liar.
Idiot.
Thief.
Coward.
Traitor.
Dirty.

These names
Are my names.
My labels.
Me.

They define me.
They make me who I am.
These names.
They
Are
Me.

They tell me.
All day long
Without fail
That

Am

Worthless.
Friendless.
Hopeless.

Unloved.
Impure.

They tell me
That I cannot do
Anything.

That I’m worth nothing.
That everything is impossible
Because
Just because
I’m me.


They must be right.
These words 
Ring in my ears
Constantly.

Each syllable
Beats in my head
Like a never
Ending
Drum.

I remember when
I was so alive.

I remember----

Wait.

No.

No.

No.

No.

I was made for so much more.

These names may have defined me.
These names may have hurt me.
These names may have brought me down.
These names may have crushed me.

But He will

Redefine

Me.

Allow me
To redefine 
Me.

I am

Priceless.
Fearless.

I am

A new creation.
The new has come.
Those names will not define me.
They cannot
Define me.

I am

Chosen.
Loved.
Pure.

Made new
In an image so amazing
With a fire in my spirit ever blazing

None can compare.

Watch me
Spread my wings
And escape the clutches
Of the dominion of darkness

Watch me
Do things
You  thought
And told me I’d never be able to do

Watch me rise up again
Watch me transform
Watch me defeat the enemy
Watch me prove 
Watch me prove.
You.
Wrong.

I have a new spirit.
A new heart.
Which was once stone,
Has melted into flesh.

For I will no longer
Conform to the pattern

My past cannot hold me
In its dark chambers anymore

For I will look ahead
Above the skyline
Beyond the horizon
And reach a place
That is unimaginable

I now lay down
The things
I thought
Defined me

And allow those things
To be
Thrown
As far as the east is from the west

Gone is condemnation.
Gone is the past.
Gone are the old wineskins.
Gone are those names.
The lies.
The words of the people
Who want to steal
Kill
And
Destroy
Me.

I know that
I’ve fallen short of the glory,
But

I have been remade.
I have been reborn.

I have been redeemed.

I have entered the Kingdom.

I have been

Redefined.

1 comment:

  1. Sofiaaaa...wow. This is so...beautiful. Your words are amazing. It actually made me cry. I'm kinda teary-eyed right now. :P haha. I just really needed to hear this especially with all that's been happening in my life. It means a lot. :)

    IMY! Galing mo, Sofia! Naks namannnnn :>

    - Bea

    ReplyDelete